Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 22:16:22 +0000
 CHRS: IBMPC 2
 CODEPAGE: 850
 MSGID: 240:244/186 7f739370
 REPLY: 240:44/0 3d818ef9
 PID: FDAPX/w 1.13 UnReg(32)
Following on from what Ken has said, I think that the bee disease insurance is
the key to effective AFB control.  The insurance company is a non profit making
company set up and run by beekeepers who are unsalaried.  It means that
beekeepers have no great financial incentive to break the (UK) law and conceal
or treat American foul brood.  We all know that antibiotic treatment can only
prolong any outbreak of AFB and increase the chances of it spreading.  Burning
and compensation nips it in the bud.  The effectiveness of this policy is
demonstrated by the fact that the insurance premiums are so low - no, it is not
subsidised.
I am relieved to learn that Ken has not personally suffered from AFB: how about
his bees?
Chris Slade

---
 * Origin: Beenet Point (240:244/186)