From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:43:46 -0600
Bill asks:
I was wondering what kind of insurance coverage those of you who do have it,
have on your bee operations?

I will respond but only in general terms in a public forum as the amount of
insurance a person or business feels is neccessary is up to each person or
intity. By intity I mean I am an S. corporation under Missouri law and the
liability risks to me are the business and not personal assests *unless*
neglect on my part can be proven in a court of law.

I toured three agritourism farms last Monday and was astonished to learn
that one of the farms was running a huge corn maze  without insurance of any
kind, thousands of people were on the property and touring the maze in
Otober. The owners were in my opinion creating enough risk for a claim to
justify getting liability insurance but chose not to and risk losing the
farm through legal action.

Many sideline beekeepers carry beekeeping insurance which can not bee
justified to many because of the cost but makes the beekeeper sleep better
at night knowing he/she is covered if a problem happens. I must say
liability and product liability problems in the beekeeping industry are rare
and claims small I have been told by beekeeping insurance sellers.

As one of my insurance men put it. "You pay insurance premiums for
protection and both you and your insurance man hope you never need to use
your insurance!"

At the present time you can buy whatever beekeeping insurance you think you
need as long as you have not had a neglegence claim filed against you in say
the last decade over an injury.
A couple beekeepers had problems in the above regard but have moved past the
issue now and when I last talked they were now insured. One went a year
without ins..

Bill asks:
 Not only liability, but how does one cover actual swarms agains perils such
as vandalism, fire, theft and not diseases and
weather?

When you move away from the general liability offered to beekeepers and
product liability you can buy what you are looking for but the insurance is
very high. I was even referred to Lloyds of London once.

Vandalism and theft beekeeping insurance I have not seen. Fire I have got
but not through my beekeepers liability & product liability ins. co. but
through the insurance company which insures my main building by listing
honey supers and equipment and putting a dollar amount on the value. I
purchased the insurance on the supers, drums of honey on hand, etc. after
the fire I had in the fall of 95 which I put out myself with help of a
neighbor and my wife. My insurance was enough to cover losses in the fire
then but would not have been even close if the whole building had went up .

Another beekeeper insurance person is listed in the bee journals and I have
priced insurance from his firm and I believe he will insure all aspects of
beekeeping. His name is Roger Starks. Other than getting a price quote a
couple times I know little about the company but have not heard any
complaints and many beekeepers use Roger . Two large companies insure
beekeepers in the U.S.to my knowledge.  Roger Starks companies he writes for
and "The Hartford Co."

I imagine I have *as usual* provided more information than you were possibly
asking for.

Sincerely,
Bob