From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:43:12 -0400
>> The price tag sends a message: Quality.  We
as consumers are accustomed to paying a little more for a better product.
 In fact some consumers associate a higher price with quality.  This
argument will only work if you are producing quality product in the first
place.  The market will decide that.  The consumer always has a choice
whether or not to buy.<<

I grew up in the restaurant business.  My father subscribed to a trade rag
that ran a story about a suit and tie
restaurant in New York City that got over $20 a plate.  They served peanut
butter and jelly sandwiches!  This was almost 20 years ago!  Of course you
had a classy waiter pull a desert tray up to your table and he made your
fair for you at your table.  People paid for this.

What does this have to do with bees.  Bees make honey and most likely, most
of us are part time or hobby type beekeepers.  We put a special value in
our product.  It's a labor of love.  We only make so much because we are
small scale.  Just like Detroit cars that were not overly mass produced in
the '60s are worth 20 times their original value today our honey is rare,
coveted and worth more than mass produced honey.  If people were stupid
enough to buy $20 PB&J sandwiches 20 years ago I think they're smart enough
to pay an extra buck for our special honey.

Ted Wout
Red Oak, TX, USA  the newest home of the AHB(according to public officials
and newspapers)