From:
George Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:29:29 -0400
At 01:24 PM 10/16/05 -0700, you wrote:

>Example of 'working harder for the same rewards' would
>be a car spending more energy on the highway at 30
>miles per gallon would be less efficient than a car
>getting 28 MPG.

I think you have that backwards unless you're really suggesting that a 28
mpg car be considered more efficient than a 30 mpg car simply because it
isn't going as far down the road. My pickup truck gets 15 mpg and I've
tanked up just once this summer whereas my Subaru Impreza gets 30 mpg and
I've filled it up a dozen times... but I wouldn't go so far as to say my
Ford F-150 is more efficient!

>Remember that a colony of honeybees, when faced with
>different sources of nectar, will consistently focus
>on the source with the highest profitability
>-profitability is defined as a function of nectar
>sweetness, accessibility, abundance and distance from
>the hive.

And I would add competition for that source to the equation which could
very well alter the choice the bees make. If every bee in the neighborhood
is after that sweet, accessible and abundant source, it's not going to
remain profitable very long. That might make a somewhat more distant but
perhaps not so sweet or abundant source look a lot more attractive.

George-

George & Nancy Fergusson
Sweet Time Apiary
326 Jefferson Road