From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:31:10 -0500

<<         Basically the hive super had metal clips of some type that secured
 the suppers together and hive inspections a done by tipping the whole hive
 over. Apparently no lifting, one just spreads the supers and rights the
 one being inspected, then tips the supoer back, and does the next one. I
 assume the clips are reset and the whole hive us tipped back up.

         Associated with this was a dolly that would tip the hive over onto
 a type of stand. Again, no lifting. (snip) >>

  I don't know about Aussie practice, but a number of US beekeepers use
aluminum H-clips, which are available at lumberyards.  These are normally
used to tie together roof sheathing, between rafters.  Just two of these on
adjacent sides will keep supers from sliding while being moved.  They also
can be used to hold the bottom box in place on a pallet.

    I have worked with beekeepers who will lay over a hive to get into the
brood chamber.  We always did it with two persons, but I would think a hand
truck or dolly would make it easier, especially working alone.

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Pollination for lay people, students, teachers
....Of bees, beekeepers, and food
http://users.aol.com/queenbjan/primbees.htm

Pollination for the pros - those involved in doing it:
Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light         Varietal Honeys and Gift Sets
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm