Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:31:00 +0300
"I am simply arguing that it is wrong for mankind to 'force'
the process by transporting genetic material half way around the world in a
way that 'nature' would - could - never have done.  We only have to open our
eyes to see the damage that we (er - not me!) have done - and are still
doing; surely I do not need to spell it out?"

If humans did not transport genetic material around the world there wouldn't be
any bees in the Americas, Australia or New Zealand and no Robinia in Europe etc
etc.  No bananas, potatoes, tobacco and numerous other things as well.
How can you be sure that the AMM you lovingly culture are actually British and
not of French or Dutch descent?

Just because native populations of bees exist it doesn't necessarily mean that
they are the best for a particular location from a beekeeper's point of view.
The importation of European bees into the New World shows that they can excel in
diverse environments. The importation of AHB into the Americas showed just how
adaptive they can be...........

We have all seen the reaction to the imports from NZ into the UK this year .  Do
you think that the importer is an idiot?  He gets far better results from the
imported carnica bees than from his AMM.

At the end of the day it's the bottom line that counts for people who make their
living from their bees.

Roger White
Cyprus.