From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 11:44:21 -0400
>Dave wrote..."I sympathize with Tom having just done this myself. For the
>first time in 50
>years I had to kill a hive this year. Buckfast in origin, allowed to
>supersede to maintain the genetics, turned into the worst hive I've ever
>handled, and I have three more not quite so bad."
>
>Dave, were these from Canadian breeders or from Texas (before the embargo)?

These are of Canadian origin, which is what makes me suspicious, there is no
way they can get AHB genes from down South. My information is there are AHB
genes in them and superscedure brings them to the front via regression. They
do not breed true!

>I personally used Buckfast queens for several years (in the 60's) and found
>them very gentle and extremely prolific.  With good New World Carnolians
>being extremely resistant to tracheal mites, I do not see why any beekeeper
>in the Northern states (or Canada) would want to use Buckfast produced in
>Texas and take any risk concerning the Africanized traits.  Any thoughts

There is a marketing ploy being used at the moment. "Buckfast" are the only
T-mite resistant bees around. It's not true.
    All bees are resistant to T-mites to varying degrees. Italians are and
have been for many years the most resistant, followed by Carniolans then the
rest. The trick is to have them tested, find the best, then fix the trait.
The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, Orillia,
ON. L3V 6H1. Canada.
Phone (705) 326 7171
Fax      (705) 325 3461
David Eyre. Owner.