Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:59:11 EST
In a message dated 99-12-20 08:51:08 EST, [log in to unmask] (Karl
Dehning) wrote:

<< We recently have experienced very hot weather in Cape
 Town and the bees have not produced to my expectation.
 I have heard the theory that the nectar evaporates
 from the blossoms before the bees can get to gather it.
Has anyone info regarding the the effect of hot
 weather on honey production.  >>

    Has it also been dry and windy?  I would tend to think it more likely
that the nectar is not being produced in the first place, though I would
allow the possibility of some evaporation.  Usually heat and drought go
together around here, and I think that stressed plants may show a more or
less normal looking bloom without significant nectar production.  This past
summer here (South Carolina) was extremely hot and dry, with very poor nectar
sources. Interestingly the best bees I had were on irrigated canteloupes and
squash, crops that I don't consider good nectar producers. These crops
produced enough to keep the bees from dwindling during the heat, and some of
them actually produced a super of honey.

    Also the bees become stressed particularly if they don't have shade and
lots of close fresh water. They may spend all their energies seeking out
water and bringing it back for cooling.

 <<Also the bees were not very protective when we reaped
 the golden rewards. Usually we have to remain in our
 veils untill about 200 meters away. That day we
 stripped a mere 5 or so meters away. Comments??? >>

    When it's 100 degrees F, my bees could be worked naked. They just look at
you, and say, "Whew, it's hot!"  I've heard that's not true of the afrobees,
but I think the ones we refer to, originated in central Africa, not south
Africa.....

Dave Green   SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page   http://www.pollinator.com
The Pollination Scene   http://members.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop on the Internet  (honey & beeswax candles)
http://members.aol.com/SweetnessL/
Pollinator Y2K calendar:
http://members.aol.com/PotGold/calendar.htm</PRE></HTML>