From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2014 12:16:50 -0500
As this thread carries on, neonics are headed in a direction as the best
thing to ever happen.

I was pondering a conversation I had last night with a larger farmer in the
area...  Sitting around watching UFC 172.....  Last year my bees did great
on Yellow Rocket/ Mustard,  a little purple flower I forget the name of.  WE
had a very wet spring last year.  No corn was planted to speak of until late
May  as a result 100 of thousands of acres of blooms in untilled corn.

I was lamenting that this year is terrible for me.  Literally last week all
the corn was planted.  No tillage at all.

Two points that are salient to me,  first off,  no burndown sprays at all
this year.  Since they got in right away,  they don't spray burndown.

Second Billys comment about Atriozine and how great Round has been for
pollinators.  Before roundup Atrizine was sprayed liberally.  And killed
about everything due to residual effects.   Roundup on the other hand has no
residual life.  Allowing those weeds I love to flourish before tillage.

I hadn't thought about it, but hes right..  unfortunately
a dry early spring didn't help...another issue...  Maybe we should spend
more time trying to regulate the weather.......

Any way.... the point is neonics are not the best thing ever....no claim to
be, but in a world that wants to feed everyone for little cost,  they seem
to be in my area, a lot better than the alternatives.   A world without pest
and pesticides would be great...  in the mean time we need to balance.

Maybe Neonics sprayed n trees is bad,  maybe in Canola its terrible,  Maybe
we should not allow it for yard use...These are things to watch for sure.
But reporting here on the ground in corn and bean country they sure do look
like they are helping more than hurting.

Charles