Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 09:02:34 GMT+0200
Hi All

As many may have heard, swarming is a big problem in africa as it
happens all year round, but more in autumn and spring.

What do we do? Requeen as much as possible. Some beekeepers using
A.m.scutellata requeen every four to six months. With capensis it is
less strict but at least one a year is good.

Now, previous posts on this list have pointed out that a queen that
swarms takes with her bees that are the most genetically similar to
herself. (mentioned DNA fingerprinting technique used to prove)

From this we can draw a few conclusions:

If one requeens with a queen from a different apiary and genetic
stock, should she produce swarm cells, for at least 5 weeks one will
not get a very big swarm produced, and afterswarms will be even
smaller. (3 wks for brood and two to learn to fly etc)

So to requeen with queens rered in different places may be good?
(Well thats good because that has been my philosophy anyhow)

Keep well

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey
Standard Disclaimer applies to this post.