From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:48:01 -0400
>> "But wait, it's a city", one thinks.
>> "There must be all sorts of nasty
>> environmental toxins in that stuff!"
>> One would be wrong.  See this test
>> report:
>> http://bee-quick.com/reprints/Heavy_Metal_Hive.pdf

> Not all sorts, but high levels of certain things.
> The report shows that while the operator may
> be controlling inputs, other inputs occur from
> the environment, just as we have stated.

The tests verify that food is safe, so if you get all "ND", your honey is
VERIFIED PURE.  If the USDA was concerned in any way about any other
possible food contaminants, regardless of source, they'd test for them.
I'll trust them to decide.

> You don't even address whether these levels of
> magnesium are "safe" and whether you dumped
> the contaminated honey.

I'm sorry if I was unclear when I said: "Pretty impressive, such a clean
bill of purity from a post-mortem on honey that was washed down the drain."
I meant that to mean that the honey had been washed down the drain.

As I dumped the honey first, and sent in the samples for testing later, my
choice was to refuse to let anyone eat honey that was actually green, no
matter what the cause.  This was ethics, not science.  When the test results
came back, I never asked if those levels of magnesium and aluminum were
"safe" or not.  I expect no significant aluminum or magnesium in honey. But
I don't think that anyone needs to pull out a chemistry textbook to agree
that those levels are unacceptable, as the expected result on those tests
would be "ND".

But I again encourage others to have their honey tested, and post the
results and see how they compare to NYC, where the Parks department swore
off pesticides and herbicides years ago, where the golf courses and
cemeteries are all seeking to be "certified organic", and even the buses and
taxis are going 100% electric.  It's not "perfect" by Allen's definition,
due to a lack of unicorns, but to the most stringent of the USDA's testing,
we seem to consistently have honey that can be said to meet Allen's metric
of "pure,
ideal and pristine honey" on a production basis, rather than on a
hypothetical one.