From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2015 06:52:36 -0500
a Mr Cryberg snip...
No professional queen breeder is ever going to select against productivity.  As most back yard bee keepers increase by splits of hives on the verge of swarming or swarms they are strongly selectively breeding for swarming and probably nothing else in most cases.

my comments...
any real world measure of 'productivity' has (at least to this casual observer) changed quite dramatically over the past 50 years.  without a doubt the term 50 years ago meant honey production in a world free of the current problems of two forms of mites.  in the current state of the business of beekeeping 'productivity' leans more toward keeping hives growing and healthy for multiple pollination events than for the production of honey.

Personally I would question your presumption that making splits on 'the verge of swarming' is actually selecting for swarming tendencies.  I do enjoy absorbing the thoughts of others on this issue since at this point in my life if there is any art in beekeeping it is largely in regards to proper vs improper thinking in regards to selection.

Contrary to what some authorities on this board seem to suggest I do have the notion that some California based breeders are selecting for bees that respond well to a syrup bucket but are, at least in this harsh habitat, not very hardy.  i SUSPECT that experience in the commercial queen rearing world is a factor that is quite often overlooked but does represent value.

Hardiness is also a factor of 'productivity' that also seems to be overlook or ignored... unless of course you are actively pursuing a strategy of non treatment for varroa.