From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2017 11:24:02 -0600
Hi Charles
Still not sure what the question is, you mention the "trigger" and then wonder why other trees don't behave like maples. Two separate questions, seems to me.

Seem a hard one to communicate,  but I appreciate the comments of you and Mike.

I do understand the pumping action, as well as how wind plays into the functions of sap running in trees.  There is also a portion in which we would suspect that sugar values of the sap acts as antifreeze.

What I was trying to point out,  is that at some level there is a trigger,  to produce and send that sap up.  Tapping trees in the summer produces a completely different sap,  and other trees also have similar changes in composition.

Compare this with bees was my goal,  there is some trigger which cause this change.  Some winter/spring event which in bees cause brood and in trees causes high sugar production for leaf development.

In both this is based on triggers I don’t think we can pin down perfectly.  Why is Jan sap so different than may sap?  And why do certain trees trigger them at different times?

To me this boils down to the same question which may trigger brood or other seasonal events.  I am not convinced we actually know the true trigger of either.
We know all about the mechanism that bees need for brood,  but not sure what quite tells them to go,  As I see it we are in the same position with many other things.  We may know the how it works,  but a bit lacking in the final detail.

Having  a hundred or so silver maples in the yard,  most with tap marks,  I have pondered it a bit.  We here actually start in mid Dec before the solstice if you want max production.  By mid to late Jan some years its too late (trees are sappy)  and other seasons it goes till march.  You can determine which days will flow best,  but still not sure what changes the sugar levels.

Charles