From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 16:24:44 -0000
P-O Gustafsson gave the links to his pages on oxalic.

I note that these pages state that the oxalic solution will only keep for a
short time (and that is what I have always understood) - but I do not know
why.  Is it unstable?

My question is prompted by the news from BBKA today the use of 'soft'
treatments is now to be allowed (officially!) in the UK.  Apparently, these
substances are to be known as 'hive cleansers' rather than medicines and
will then be considered to be outside the scope of the Veterinary Medicines
Regulations (back to Non-medicinal Curative Substances?).  However, BBKA is
recommending that beekeepers should buy the solution ready made, rather than
making it themselves.  Although I am not using OA, I did try trickling it in
the first year of varroa, and can see little danger is making the solution
provided that precautions are taken not to inhale any dust.  Of course there
is a huge cost difference: I know someone who has just paid over £7 (+
carriage) for a litre of the solution and with OA at around 1p per gram it
seems to me that someone is making a nice profit.

I do now wonder about the position of Apiguard; if thymol is a 'hive
cleanser', then presumably Apiguard is now outside the scope of the
Regulations.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/