Date:
Mon, 31 May 2010 14:51:28 EDT

In a message dated 31/05/2010 19:45:23 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
 writes:

<<Entirely the beekeeper.  The bees 'think' there is a  forest fire that
might threaten their home, making it wise to  prepare to abscond at short
notice.
They do this by filling their crops  with liquid stores (if available),
following  which they are about as  aggressive as you are after your second
helping of  Christmas  pudding, and about as productive.

Chris>>

    I wonder how true that is. I've never noticed that  more beas feed from
open honey after smoking than when I open a hive without  smoke. My feeling
is that the smell disrupts communication within the hive.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham  UK