Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:40:21 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
At 01:00 PM 1/23/2006, you wrote:
>All around it is just a conflict of interest. 

I can see their point.  However, unless the state steps up with the dollars to hire enough full time unbiased inspectors this probably leaves the inspection program in really poor shape.

Here (ohio) we have 2 full time inspectors (I'm assuming they have other duties in the ag department to keep them busy in the off months).  They are clearly not enough to go around.  Then each county has an inspector hired by the county (if the county commissioners decide to fund the position).  This inspector is either a:
1. Commercial beekeeper looking for some extra income to keep in the black (I don't believe they pay very well).  Good because they typically have a lot of experience.
2. Sideliners.  Generally good beekeeping experience, perhaps more than commercial because they often can take more time at it.  But what is the definition of 'any income' .  Gross income?  Net income?  Profit (before or after paying employees/oneself)? Is anyone who sells even a jar of honey automatically ruled out?  Can I inspect until the day my operation shows a net profit?  (Most/all of my beekeeping income typically gets rolled back into growth and research).
3. Retired beekeepers.  The perfect choice because they have a lot experience and typically lots of time.
4. The hobbyist or non-beekeeper.  Often inexperienced with little more than the state training to go on.

Remove #1 and #2 , #3 is hard to come by (retired from bees and still healthy enough and willing to do the job for little money), so you are left with #4.  This is the situation we have in the county I'm in.  Our bee inspector serves 3 counties, doesn't have bees, and didn't even know what a 5 frame nuc was the first time he inspected my bees (I wasn't home and of course he didn't contact me, rather he called another beekeeper to ask why I had all these little bee hives and how he should count them.  I'd laugh if it weren't so sad.)  It's nice to always receive glowing inspection reports, but when you get them even with problem hives it shows how little value the inspection program has in it's current state.  Plus even though by law I'm required to be inspected twice a year because I raise queens, I was not inspected once last year.  I don't yet know if this was due to lack of money or other problems. 

-Tim  

-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 267.14.21/235 - Release Date: 1/19/2006

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2