From:
jim wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 1995 22:05:13 -0700
>I replaced my hard drive on my computer and left some vital files on the old
>one, such as the ones from BEE-LINE explaining how to subscribe/unscribe, stop
>sending mail, access archived material, etc.   If one of you knows this
>information or can explain how I can get the files again that hold this
>information, I'd appreciate it.  I received it all when I subscribed and filed
>it away for future use, but at this time I can't get at it.
>
>Yvonne Leduc
>Airdrie, Alberta
>Compuserve Address:  71604,1230
>(via Internet:  [log in to unmask])
>
>here is the info you need.
Jim Wolf

Please save this message for future  reference, especially if you are not
familiar with LISTSERV.  This might look like a waste  of disk space now,
but in  6 months  you will be  glad you saved  this information  when you
realize that  you cannot remember what  are the lists you  are subscribed
to, or  what is the command  to leave the  list to avoid filling  up your
mailbox while you are on vacations. In fact, you should create a new mail
folder for subscription confirmation messages  like this one, and for the
"welcome  messages"  from the  list  owners  that you  will  occasionally
receive after subscribing to a new list.

To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just send mail  to [log in to unmask] This is  called "sending mail
to the  list", because  you send  mail to a  single address  and LISTSERV
makes  copies  for all  the  people  who  have subscribed.  This  address
([log in to unmask])  is also  called the  "list address".  You must
never try to send any command to that address, as it would be distributed
to all the people  who have subscribed. All commands must  be sent to the
"LISTSERV         address",        [log in to unmask]         (or
[log in to unmask]).  It  is  very   important  to  understand  the
difference between  the two, but  fortunately it is not  complicated. The
LISTSERV address  is like a  FAX number, and the  list address is  like a
normal phone  line. If  you make  your FAX  call someone's  regular phone
number by  mistake, it will be  an unpleasant experience for  him but you
will probably be excused the first time. If you do it regularly, however,
he will probably get upset and send you a nasty complaint. It is the same
with mailing lists, with the difference  that you are calling hundreds or
thousands of people at the same time, so a lot more people get annoyed if
you use the wrong number.

You may leave the  list at any time by sending  a "SIGNOFF BEE-L" command
to [log in to unmask] (or [log in to unmask]). You can also
tell LISTSERV how you want it to confirm the receipt of messages you send
to the  list. If you do  not trust the  system, send a "SET  BEE-L REPRO"
command and LISTSERV will  send you a copy of your  own messages, so that
you can see that  the message was distributed and did  not get damaged on
the  way. After  a while  you  may find  that this  is getting  annoying,
especially if  your mail program  does not tell  you that the  message is
from you when it informs you that new mail has arrived from BEE-L. If you
send a  "SET BEE-L ACK NOREPRO"  command, LISTSERV will mail  you a short
acknowledgement  instead,  which  will  look different  in  your  mailbox
directory. With most mail programs you will know immediately that this is
an  acknowledgement  you  can  read  later. Finally,  you  can  turn  off
acknowledgements completely with "SET BEE-L NOACK NOREPRO".

Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get a
list of the  available archive files by sending an  "INDEX BEE-L" command
to [log in to unmask] (or [log in to unmask]). You can then
order these files with a "GET BEE-L LOGxxxx" command, or using LISTSERV's
database  search facilities.  Send an  "INFO DATABASE"  command for  more
information on the latter.

Please note that  it is presently possible for anybody  to determine that
you are signed  up to the list  through the use of  the "REVIEW" command,
which returns the e-mail address and  name of all the subscribers. If you
do not  want your name  to be visible, just  issue a "SET  BEE-L CONCEAL"
command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"
command to [log in to unmask] (or [log in to unmask]).

It's a small world
But, I wouldn't want to clean it!
The Wolif