From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:50:46 +0100
Peter

I really ought to be removing honey and starting to get ready for the
heather, but it is pouring with rain - much needed - so I do not feel so bad
about sitting here!

Let me try to answer your points:

"What I meant by "all its forms" was: There are several symptoms that are
displayed by infected brood - colour change, typical range of position,
viscosity of tissue, scale formation".

These are the stages that I outlined - and are the symptoms that would
identify
AFB or EFB.

"AFB infected brood usually dies after sealing has taken place - but not
always. It may occur before sealing takes place".

True, but this is rare and the vast majority of the larvae will die after
capping and the cappings will then sink; this will indicate AFB rather than
EFB.  Any that die before
capping would not display the white gut of EFB infected larvae.

I have seen AFB infected brood in very limited numbers - and it was
impossible to state whether it was EFB or AFB - the cells were open".

Open because they had not been capped, or open because the cappings had
been removed?  If the former, then the white gut test should identify AFB or
EFB, if the latter then I would expect other cells to present showing an
earlier stage that would enable identification.

"AFB infected pupae may "rope" if poked at the right stage of putrefaction,
but they will not show this trait before and after a certain stage in
decay".

Agreed, it needs to be at the sunken capping stage.  But if the disease has
not reached that stage then the cells would be either open (so the white gut
test applies) or just capped but not yet sunken - in which case there would
be no apparent  symptoms and we would not be suspecting  either AFB or EFB.

"Brood dying after cells have been sealed also occurs.  These are symptoms
that are not "classic" and therefore allow for confusion"

This is a classic symptom!

"You mention that EFB does not show symptoms as found with AFB - then go on
to list several! - all confusing the situation for the inexperienced".

I think that is a little unfair!  I said:
'except for a general appearance of patchy or 'pepperpot' brood and, in a
few cases, perforated cappings where the larva has died after capping
(however, in these cases the remains will not 'rope' as with AFB)'.
In other words, I acknowledged that both diseases will cause a general
appearance of unhealthy brood (as will chalkbood, sacbrood, genetic
abnormality etc) and that a very few larvae with EFB may die after capping -
but I then pointed out that these would not 'rope' as AFB does.

"I suggest that AFB may be confused with EFB, but EFB is less likely to be
confused with AFB (this statement may at first seem illogical!)"

I do have difficulty with this statement!  Where there is brood present,
I find the symptoms are too dissimilar for confusion between EFB and AFB.

"AFB may show symptoms that may be seen/ associated with EFB..."

But which symptoms, and are you saying that they would be seen exclusively?

"Hence my position that it is practically impossible to make a definite
diagnosis of AFB in the
field. The chances of correctly diagnosing EFB in the field is much better
by comparison".

Seasonal Bee Inspectors in the UK have always been happy to diagnose AFB
positively in the field and destroy colonies on that basis (unless the
beekeeper insisted on a sample being taken for analysis first), but would
normally always take a sample for laboratory confirmation of EFB (unless the
beekeeper insisted on destruction).

"I look for and find symptomatic the presence of trachea that are evident to
the naked eye whilst attempting to diagnose EFB infected brood".

Good point.  Another very good indicator of EFB is larvae that turn dorsal
side uppermost in the cell at the 3-4 day stage, i.e. with their backs
towards you.

"Beekeepers should also be educated that when an infection occurs it is not
a sin or reflection upon themselves as being incompetent . The irresponsible
attitude is expressed when nothing is done or a cover up is attempted. This
latter situation occurs frequently as other beekeepers are tempted to point
fingers and "bad mouth" unlucky individuals".

Could not agree more!  My first, and only, experience of AFB in my own
colonies came after I bought an entire apiary in the spring of 1984 -
inspected by two people - but AFB showed up in September (it seemed that
there were scales hidden under winter stores).  I called in the NBU and the
inspector confirmed my diagnosis.  In conversation with him I said that I
would contact other beekeepers in the area to tell them.  His instant
reaction was:
'I would not do that!  You will become a pariah.'  I said that if that was
the case then I would have to become one, as I had already made it clear
that I believed that the only was to beat disease is to keep others
informed.  I don't think that I am regarded as a pariah...

"Wishing you seasons free from both of the above!"

Many thanks - let's wish everyone seasons free from both the above - and a
whole raft of other nasties!

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/

PS  I have no knowledge on parafoulbrood and will bow to anyone who can
enlighten.
Now I really must go and do some work!