From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:54:25 -0700
Yoon Sik Kim, Ph.D. wrote:
> OK, I did locate animal feed called *Yeast-Culture* at $14.25 at a
> local feedlot.  They say *Yeast-Culture* is different than Brewer's
> Yeast, however.  Do you folks have any other suggestion?

For small operators, my best recommendation -- frankly, since cost is
not likely the biggest concern -- is to use BeePro(r). BeePro is
available at any bee supply store and is about as good a bee diet as can
currently get.  Big operators use yeast, etc. mainly because they can
cut the cost in half, not because they necessarily get better results.

If you really want to mix your own, I'd advise you to read the archives
very carefully or you will most likely go wrong.  As you have already
guessed, just getting some 'yeast' and offering it to the bees will not
do the trick.

I have some info on this on my website as well, but I'm not sure where.
Visit http://www.honeybeeworld.com , if you like, and select 'search'.
Download the Google searchbar if you don't already have it and search
the site for 'yeast' and or 'brewer' or use the site search.

FWIW, Dr. Gordon Wardell at the Tucson lab has been working on a liquid
protein diet with added features that is now in testing.  Maybe in a few
years we will have something better than BeePro, but for now, BeePro
rules.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary
More than you wanted to know