From:
Hervé Logé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:26:16 +0200
I promised a post on climate change impact on
beekeeping some weeks ago. I ordered some publications
and a book that I was waiting for before finalizing
the post, but I am tired to wait for them and the list
is quite quiet. So I will try with basic official
information on the web.

Firstly, some basic links from North America and the
United Nations :

From the USA:
http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/impacts.html
: basic information from the USEPA
 www.nap.edu/books/0309074347/html : a report that
really worth to be read from the NAS

From Canada:
http://www.climatechange.gc.ca/english/affect/
http://www.msc-smc.ec.gc.ca/education/scienceofclimatechange/understanding/newsletter/co2_winter_2002/pages/5_f.html

From the United Nations:
http://unfccc.int/essential_background/feeling_the_heat/items/2902.php

If you look for it, each country has his own official
site about climate change awarness with more or less
scientific data, depending on the target. I think
anyone is able to make his/her own opinion.

Secondly, what consquences for beekeeping ?

It depends where you are, of course. Obviously, if you
keep bees in Tuvalu or Malawi, the question does no
longer make sense. You - or you children - will
probably be a diving beekeeper, which is original but
perhaps not what you expected.

If you are in Western Europe, well I suggest to read
the J. Fisher's article in spring beeculture 2004 for
a diverting overview or the full the report of the
Scienfici American Acadmy
(www.nap.edu/books/0309074347/html) if you are
courageous. The more the gulf stream will get weak
because of ice melting, the more you will have to
adapt to continental (Canadian type) climate instead
of the oceanic temperate climate. I know this not new,
but it is good to be informed it is confirmed by
measures and missions in Arctic (Look for Amundsen
International mission organized by Canada). Another
consequence of the timescale change (far faster than
usual evolution for most species): a period of
biodiversity decrease
(http://forests.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=28244),
includind some floral species, which should be a
concern for beekeepers.

What about us, Canadians ? See the Environment Canada
estimations and Health Canada assessments :
(if you do not read French, clic on English in the top
left of pages)

http://www.climatechange.gc.ca/francais/publications/ccs/

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hecs-sesc/bccs/publications/changement_climate_nord/chapitre2.htm

http://www.climatechange.gc.ca/francais/publications/3nr/3NRChapitre6-French.pdf

And this one is about climate modeling (from what I
read methan emissions from pergelisoil melting was not
taken into account...):
http://www.msc-smc.ec.gc.ca/education/scienceofclimatechange/understanding/climate_models/index_f.html

A very brief overview of main expected consequences is
given for each area of Canada in the first link.
10% to 30% less moisture in the Canadian prairies
soils. It should have some impact on nectar
production. But warmer climate for Quebec, so not too
bad for ME ! So me, myself and I should sell the
Tercel and buy a giant SUV, I guess.
3C to 6C higher, what consequences on pests
(Australian evaluation:
http://www.acfonline.org.au/asp/pages/document.asp?IdDoc=1123
)? What species will come up here permantly apart
deers and some fishes that already took advantage of
the warmer climate
(http://adaptation.nrcan.gc.ca/posters/articles/qb_09_fr.asp?Region=qb),
what species will decline ? For example, with a 2
degrees increase and a dryer climate, what will be the
new spread radius for AHB and SHB ?
What new cultures will come, which ones will be
forgotten ? Before you invest in your business for a
20 years period (amortization of your brand new HACCP
honey house because of current honey barrel price...),
you may want to assess the consequences of
evapotranspiration on water available in soils  ? What
consequences on nectar yield of most important wild or
cultivated species (dandelions, willows, clover,
colza, golden rod, etc.) ? If you read some of the
links above, you realized that governments in each
industrialised country performed such assessment
because of potential major impacts on economy. So
beekeepers associations should obtain responses from
the office in charge of climate change and agriculture
of their country, if they are ever interested in. Of
course, the more interest is expressed, the more
(detailed) answeres will be given.

Hervé, thinking one's lifestyle is not to be
negotiated...unless one is living in Tuvalu.
Qc, Canada,