From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:42:22 EDT
In a message dated 4/17/01 10:10:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  Seriously I imagine beekeepers patterned bee hives after houses with front
 porches for looks and the idea has hung around. >>

   It's not for looks. The bees don't need the projection of the bottom
board. But when you load individual hives on a truck the extensions are quite
important, because they ensure air space between the hives. I would have long
ago abandoned the 22 inch bottom board if it weren't for that. You don't want
hives packed tightly on the load, or the bees will suffocate. Most of the
larger beekeepers are now palletized, and the pallets perform the same
function of keeping air space, so it's a moot point anymore.

Dave Green    SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com
One looks at the incredible complexity and beauty of the pollination process,
and says, "It's a cosmic accident." Another says, "I see evidence of a
Designer."  Each gambles, but only one can win. Who is the fool?