From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2013 09:51:42 +0100
>Why have Amm got such a reputation for defensiveness?  I have come
across them in Ireland from time to time and they're fine.

Those who went to Apimondia in Dublin (2005) and did the tour to Micheal Mac
Gilla Coda's group at Galtee will know that pure A.m.m. are extremely
docile.  No-one had a veil and many hives (not pre-prepared) were opened
time and again as coach loads of delegates arrived.
I visited again when BIBBA had its conference at Cahir in 2010; once again
no veils were required and the bees were extremely docile.

The problem arises with hybrids - notably in my view with ligustica.
Micheal Mac is fortunate in that he is in - and controls - a large area
where there is only A.m.m.  Here in the Midlands we are surrounded by
beekeepers who it seems have imported almost every known type of bee -
ligustica, carnica, Buckfast etc., so it is a struggle to keep any sort of
purity, but what we find is the purer the bee, the more docile our stocks
become.  In 2011 I worked much of the time without lighting a smoker and we
have to remind beginners at our association apiary that bees can sting!

Last year we moved house and the breeding problem went on hold.   This year
the huge winter losses that everyone suffered reduced our stocks and that,
together with ongoing work on the house and grounds again stopped work on
breeding - we had to be grateful for anything with a laying queen!  The
result of these two years has been that we have seen introgression of
undesirable genes and can no longer count on being able to work without
smoke.  Fortunately we still have some very good stock and next year will
continue our work; we have kept up our meticulous record keeping so it will
not be difficult to select breeders.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W