Date:
Sun, 27 May 2018 20:58:02 -0400
> > I don't recall ever seeing brood uncapped in what I call a bald-face situation

EF Phillips reported this over 100 years ago.

It sometimes happens that unsealed or only partially sealed pupae, known as "bald-headed brood," are observed in the hive, and frequently beginners mistake such a condition for disease. The partially built capping is often mistaken for the punctured capping of American foulbrood. If, on examination, the pupæ are normal no fear need be entertained.

Phillips, E. F. (1911). The treatment of bee diseases (No. 442). US Dept. of Agriculture.