From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:27:39 -0500
Hello David & All,
The first problem with a systemic pesticide I became familiar with was a
Bayer product named temick. Used by the truck load on oranges. Bayer bought
the rights from Union Carbide. Temick turned up in orange juice and in water
supplies.Once temick use was started my fellow beeks in Florida starting
seeing bee problems in orange. Temick is banned in the U.K. but not in the
U.S..

After Bayer acquired temick Bayer started getting section 18's for the
neonicotinoids. Then Imidacloprid started turning up in water supplies and
in oranges. Now imid is recommended for orange but use is banned at certain
times. 300 feet I believe from a well.

Beekeepers in Florida started seeing bee problems while bees were in orange
and for weeks afterword ( personal conversation and presentations at
national meetings)

For the rest of the story see "Neonicotinoids-More Questions Than Answers"
April 2008 American Bee journal pg. 337. At the time there were six
subclases and approximately 190 brand names of nenicotinoids on the market.

 How many years has Neonicotinoids been in use?

This is now outdated but was true in fall 2007 .

Imidacloprid is sold under the brand names of Confidor , Merit, Admire,
Legand, Pravodo, Encore, Gaucho, and premise and was registered in the mid
1990's for use on blueberries, citrus, cranberries, strawberries, pecans,
stone fruits, cotton, corn, melons, vegetables, forestry, ornamentals,
turf and others.

Far predates 2006 losses David!

Thiamethoxam is sold under the brand names of Actara, Platinum, helix,
cruiser, Adage, Meridian, centrie, and Flagship and was registered in
December of 2000 for use on apple, pecan, stone fruits, melons, peppers,
cotton, corn, and others.

Far predates 2006 losses

Acetamiprid is sold under the brand names Assail, Intruder and adjust and
was registered in March of 2002 for use on grapes, citrus, canola seed
treatment, with other uses pending, pome fruits leafy vegetable, ornamentals
and others.

Far predates 2006 losses.

Clothianidin , sold under the brand names Poncho, Titan, Clutch, Belay, and
Arena was registered for use on canola & corn seed treatment. Registered
June 2003.

Thiacloprid is sold under the brand name calypso and was registered in
September of 2003 for use on apples, pears, cotton & others.

Before registered the neonicotniods were used under section 18 .

I was raised in Florida David and Florida is still mostly agriculture. To
say
your bees could not be exposed to the neonicotniods is a lame excuse. Also
some studies have said when the above products are mixed with other chemical
sprays the effects on bees can be increased 100 to a 1000 times.

David incorrectly said about the length the neonicotinoids have been in use
in Florida.:

>  For me and others which have been named on here often,by Bob, CCD,hit
> hard last month  three years ago,2006, which is not near as long as these
> products have been in use.

The neonicotinoids have got you surrounded in Florida David!

bob