From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2011 14:12:23 -0500
> VSH is making a difference in the apiaries and lives of beekeepers all
> across America.

Really? I think selling instrumentally inseminated queens has certainly
enriched his life ( or chould I say lively hood)

>.the best resistance is found in pure VSH bees.

>However, hybrid VSH bees (e.g. VSH queens open mated to non-resistant
>drones) also have significant resistance to varroa mites.

Put more plainly the resistance decrease with each out cross.

Pure VSH queens can be purchased from the above Tom Glenn for around a $100
plus expensive shipping.

We have purchased queens from Tom out of curiosity but only the Marla spivak
hygienic lived up to the hype. If you control varroa then why spend the
money and effort (try and keep a 1000 commercial hives moved many times and
set in areas with other beekeepers hives pure) in a *commercial* setting.

I personally would not put all my eggs in one basket with either the VSH or
Russian pure stock.

My 2 cents worth.

bob