From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 07:40:51 -0400
  I wish this were true in the States. Many of the Mexicans here...all
undocumented...are treated like serfs. This has to change. While the
State of Vermont is teaching them English, the Federales are trying to
round them up and send them home. The local dairy farmers are taking
advantage of their undocumented status. One Mexican I know worked for 1
week on a dairy farm. Farmer owns 5 farms. Horacio worked 6 days at 12
hours a day for his $250. Oh, but then the farmer charged him rent on
the rat infested trailer, for propane and electricity, and for the
farmer's wife to do the food shopping for Horacio. Take home pay...$150.

I've found my Mexican help to be the most respectful and grateful group
I have had. While our Canadian beekeeping friends can bring in their
Mexican help every year for the season, we can't. We need their help,
they want a job. It's time the US government made the H2A program
workable. I'm sick and tired of trying to get help at the Office of
"Unemployable" Opportunities. From the regulators we get drunks and drug
addicts who don't want or can't or don't know how to work. The
undocumented Mexicans work wonderfully, and catch on fast. A little
human kindness and they'll do anything for you.

OK, now the anti-immigrant folks can blast me. Don't forget...we're all
immigrants. Because my ancestors came here in 1680 and yours in 1920
doesn't mean I have more rights than you. The Mexicans are only the
latest arrivals. They don't want to live here and become Americans. They
only want a life for their families back home. Lets allow them to work
here doing the work that the blancos don't want.
Mike