From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2015 23:20:27 +0100
>Honestly, to invoke native pollinators in the context of agriculture is a red herring. A farm is not a wildlife preserve. Everybody loves wildlife but there are places where it isn't welcome.

I found that post very disturbing; is that attitude to wildlife really prevalent in the U.S.?  If so, it could not be more different than here in the U.K.

Co-incidentally, our association meeting last Friday was a talk by a local adviser for Natural England
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/natural-england.

He gave us a wonderful talk about the way that he is working with local farmers (several of them are beekeeping members of our association) to provide habitat for wildlife - typically 2-4% of their land; they do see their farms as wildlife preserves.  Of course they are compensated for the land used, but apparently there are a number who do not claim the money - they are just proud to part of the movement to improve our countryside.  And it shows - when we are out around our apiaries there are conservation strips around fields, good hedgerows and wildlife everywhere.

So pleased that I live here where people really care about our countryside and wildlife.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W