From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:46:59 -0500
>Stomach acids that deal with botulism spores don't come in until 26 weeks
>of age (6 months) thus the "no honey for children under 1 year old" rule.

Always better safe than sorry with children but the above is an absolute
rule for *raw* honey but although botulism spores can happen in pasteurized
honey the cases are very very rare. According to large packers which keep
track of these things (ABF meetings).

Large packers pushed a few years ago to eliminate sales of raw honey from
all but health food stores but the large beekeeper groups intervened.

Raw milk is still sold in Missouri directly from farms but banned in farmers
markets and stores.

I made a prediction years ago sooner of later all honey sold in grocery
stores will have to be pasteurized. Health food stores *could* be exempt.(or
not)

We have an organic milk producer in our area and all their milk was recalled
two weeks ago because of bacteria which should have been killed by
pasteurization. Hmmm.

The above was on the news. Rumor is (like honey) they were not heating high
enough but only rumor.
When I sold to health food stores they set the limit of heat at 120 F. which
is not enough to pasteurize.

bob