From:
Tom Jillette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 19:53:06 -0600
At 01:55 PM 2/27/96 GMT, you wrote:
>At 03:18 PM 2/24/96 -0800, you wrote:
>>James :
>>
>>A study done by Martha Gilliam and Robert Argauer in 1975 (ABJ 115 : 230-234)
>>reported that Terramycin in extender patties is stable at brood nest
>>temperatures for at least 11 weeks.  I'm not sure if 1/2 a patty is
>>enough of a treatment though.  Someone else might be able to answer that.
>>
>>Adony Melathopoulos
>>Simon Fraser University
>>Vancouver, British Columbia
>>CANADA

>You could be right about '1/2 a patty not enough'. However, it could well
>depend upon the size of a 'patty' and the concentration of active ingredient
>in the 'Patty'.  I don't raise this issue to be picky but to lead up to
>another question.
>
>I would be interested in comparing recipies and patty sizes. Unfortunately
>my recipe is at the Honey House but i will send it along in the next few
>days.  Meanwhile, if a few members could provide recipies and doses it would
>be most interesting.
>
>Eric
>Eric Abell
>Gibbons, Alberta Canada
>(403) 998 3143

There is an article regarding Terramycin use in Extender Patties in the
American Bee Journal, Vol.134, No.4, April 1994, pp259-261.  In it is listed
the following:

No. 6.4 oz              Lbs Vegetable           Lbs Powdered
Colonies treated
Packets TSP             Shortening              Sugar                   1 lb
patty/colony
__________________

1                       4.6                     9.1                     14

2                       9.1                     8.2                     28

3                       13.7                    27.4                    42

4                       18.2                    36.5                    56

5                       22.8                    45.6                    70

They also mention that the original idea of extender patties comes from work
by Dr. Bill Wilson and colleagues entitled "Antibiotic Treatments That Last
Longer," American Bee Journal, September, 1970, pp. 348-351.44
The recipe in this article thought to be best was: 1/3 ob Crisco(R), 2/3 ob
granulated sugar, two (2) tablespoons of TSP or TM-25, yielding two patties.
Later Dr. Wilson found that a patty half as large was satisfactory and would
last six weeks.

Hope this info is of some use.