Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 21:12:39 -0600
Robert Mann, of New Zealand, wrote:

>         But isn't nourishing a pest (such as the fire-ant) unjustified if
> there are reasonable alternatives as have recently been pointed out on
this
> list?

Here in Louisiana, after more than a half-century of co-existence with
fire-ants, we no longer consider them much of a pest.  We still complain
about them, out of habit mostly, but they're not really a problem, and they
do provide some benefits such as a reduction in ticks, mites, and snakes.
I'd say they've reached about the same level of resigned toleration as wasps
and other ants.  (Or American deer in New Zealand.)  A new balance has been
reached.

There are many other things that are more of a nuisance, now.  Our weather,
for instance..

Anyway, we can't get rid of fire-ants so we might as well get some use out
of them when we can.  Letting them eat up wax-worms seems like a good idea.

Walter Weller