From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 15:11:46 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<Have the phenomenae of Apiary Vicinity mating and Bubble  assemblies been
studied in US ? I was of the opinion that such traits were  closely
related to A. m. mellifera, rather than any of the hybrid races  that
abound in US.>>

Dunno about studied, but the 1917 edition of the  ABC & XYZ has a series of
accounts of AVM in its article on 'drones', and  one of them explicitly
describes the bees concerned as 'Italians'. I wonder  whether it's actually a case of
the behaviour being associated with AMM simply  because that's where it has
been studied.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

Birmingham  UK