From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2013 11:39:56 -0300
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2013, at 12:37 AM, Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >> There is mounting evidence that N. C. came in through South America
> >
> > could you show that evidence ? please
>
> I cited this paper earlier
>
> Teixeira, E. W., dos Santos, L. G., Sattler, A., Message, D., Florencio
> Alves, M. L. T. M., Martins, M. F., ... & Francoy, T. M. (2013). Nosema
> ceranae has been present in Brazil for more than three decades infecting
> Africanized honey bees. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology.
>
> > Previous reports suggested that N. ceranae passed from A. cerana to A.
> mellifera in Asia, probably in the 1990s, thereafter dispersing throughout
> the world  However, it is not possible to determine precisely when or where
> N. ceranae passed from A. cerana to European honey bees

"mounting evidence" sound a bit of an exageration if there is only one
paper available.

2013-30 = 1983  .... therefore thre is something that doesn't match either.

On the other hand , Varela et al shows a relation of nosema spread and
bee-eater birds
http://www.eeza.csic.es/eeza/documentos/Valera%20et%20al.2011.EMIR.pdf

Summary
Identiļ¬cation of transmission routes and of factors
affecting the spatial positions of pathogens, hosts
and vectors is basic to an adequate disease management. Nosema ceranae is a
Microsporidian recently
described as a parasite of Apis mellifera honeybees
and is currently considered the aetiological agent of
an emergent illness named nosemosis type C. In this
article we evaluate the role of a bird species, the
European bee-eater, Merops apiaster, as a large-scale
dispersive agent of N. ceranae. We found a high
prevalence of viable spores of N. ceranae in pellets
regurgitated by bee-eaters in different locations in the
Iberian Peninsula, Central Europe and central Asia. In
contrast, spores of Nosema apis, considered till
recently the most common microsporidium infecting
honeybees, were detected in a single locality and
Nosema bombi spores were not noticed. Since nonviable spores were also
found in bee-eater nests from
different locations, this bird species could also
reduce the fraction of infected insects by withdrawing
pathogens from the colonies. We conclude that beeeater mobility and
migration may have played an
important role in the transmission of the pathogen N.
ceranae.