From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 14:09:30 -0700
Reason for production going up and bees going down is simple. Most of
the heavy losses were last year and with hobby beekeepers. In Maine, we
had reports of decreased or no honeybees in gardens which seems to
indicate a reduction in feral bees, local beekeepers or both. But a
record number of hives came into the state for pollination- about
50,000. And they also pollinated more blueberry and cranberry fields. So
you can have both a reduction in the number of bees (hobby beekeeper's
and feral bees) but crop production records because of increases in
numbers of hives used for pollination (about 10% in Maine) and acres of
crops pollinated- especially cranberries. It is interesting that pumpkin
and squash growers suffered greatly last year in more states than Maine,
and they don't always use commercial pollinators. But it might have been
the weather.
The press just grouped hobby and commercial beekeepers along with feral
bees into the same bag. Our commercial beekeepers did not suffer the
same kind of losses hobbiests did the 95-96 winter.
For the press, two out of three ain't bad.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME