From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2018 11:13:45 -0500
John>I am also of the opinion that the higher up the hive the vapor is introduced the better the crystal distribution.

I agree, for the simple reason that when OA vapor enters low in a cold or cool colony there are lots of structures available for condensation before contact with bees. This is especially true when treating in the 50-60℉ range and the cluster is higher up in the box. I have seen evidence of per-condensation loss on bottom bars directly above where a Varrox was used and on end bars up higher when using a ProVap through a hole drilled halfway up a deep. I'm doing two things to compensate for the pre-condensation loss.  First I'm increasing the dosage to 3g and second I'm using high purity OA (99.6). I hoping both will increase efficacy in broodless applications and phoretic cleanups.  Again there is no science on this and I'm just experimenting with some things that seem intuitive.

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT