From:
harry hoover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 07:43:13 +1300
Honey Help Needed.
Dear Bee-L

              I am a second year degree student in the Sport Science program at the Waikato Polytechnic, Hamilton, New Zealand.  I am very interested in sport, and have for many years followed the advice of an old wives tale, which says;

A teaspoon of HONEY, eaten an hour before an exam will enhance one's thinking processes, making one calmer and able to produce better results.

Years ago I also applied this practice to my own performance in sport, and while I can't say conclusively that it ever did me any good, it definitely didn't do me any harm, as I've been national champion more than once, and had a generally very successful career in sport.

I am now interested in scientifically testing this tale for my Degree research project  (3rd year,)  and would like to find out if there have ever been any studies done on the effects of Honey on either the cognitive evaluation process (thinking) or performance in sport.

Are you aware of any studies which may have impinged on these areas?  I have been searching archives all over the planet but so far have drawn a blank.

To date I have not been able to find any research other than for the medicinal effects of honey and other bee products.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.

I can be contacted at;      [log in to unmask]

Any suggestions as to other areas to look would also be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Enrico Hoover.