From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 11:35:40 -0500
On  8 Jun 97 at 19:17, Eugene Makovec wrote:

> 1)  The Carniolans don't know the meaning of the word propolis.
> They use very little compared to the Italians, who glue everything
> so tightly you practically need a pick-ax to get in.
>
> 2)  They make up for it with honeycomb.  They've waxed the frames in
> the top box to the tops of those in the bottom box.  Since I put on
> an excluder and super, they've even waxed the excluder to the frames
> below.
>
> 3)  Originally, I was amazed at how friendly these bees were.  Not
> anymore.
>  Since they've built their honeycomb in all the open spaces, I can't
>  get in
> to take a look without destroying their handiwork, killing larvae,
> etc.

Please don't blame the inadequacy of the hive builder on the bees.
Bees are 'programed' to either fill excess space with propolis or
burr comb. No space, no burr comb or propolis!
        Some bees produce vast quantites of propolis others very little,
some are good wax builders, some or not, it all comes down to
breeding. I have Italians who don't seem to know what propolis is,
and I also have some bees who really don't like working foundation!!
My advise, try a different breeder.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171