Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:16:20 -0700
> Beekeepers in Louisiana should be aware
> of aerial spray in their area.

So, rather than trying to pump the water
out of your basement, or put a roof back
on your house, you've got to move your
bees as fast and as far away as you can by
TOMORROW NIGHT.

All this is because of the PR value of...

> mosquito aerial spraying

Which never, ever works.

> Specially equipped U.S. Air Force Reserve C-130H
> cargo planes... will be... aerial spraying...
> approximately the last 2-3 hours of daylight.

"Specially equipped", but unable to fly a mission
at night? We had this same problem in NC and VA
years ago in the aftermath of hurricane Floyd.
In that case, it turned out that the pilots were
not "instrument qualified" to make night flights.
The planes were in fine shape and had all the toys
a pilot could want.  It was pilot training that
was lacking.

> flying at or above 200 feet above ground level

Somehow, I doubt that anyone could be trusted to
fly a C130 so low unless they were instrument
qualified.  You don't have much horizon at that
altitude.  Luck for the crew that the area is flat.

Why not at least ask the question?
Why not ask them to spray at night just this once?

> the insecticide Dibrom (also known as naled)

Naled?
An Adulticide?
And a freakin' ORGANOPHOSPHATE???

Hasn't anyone down there heard of larvacides, and how
utterly useless the spraying of anything, especially
adulticides has been shown to be by multiple studies?
(Here's a few citations and articles from a slightly
more rabid group than I'd prefer to cite, but they
have a good archive -

http://www.stopwestnilesprayingnow.org/Articles.htm )

But what's the pesticide label say?

http://tinyurl.com/47v2en
or
http://www.amvac-chemical.com/media/pdf/products/specimen_labels/dibromcon.pdf

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
This pesticide is toxic to fish, aquatic invertebrates, and wildlife.
Runoff from treated
areas or deposition of spray droplets into a body of water may be
hazardous to fish and
aquatic invertebrates. Before making the first application in a season,
consult with the
primary State agency responsible for regulating the pesticides to
determine if permits are
required or regulatory mandates exist. Do not apply over bodies of water
(e.g., lakes,
swamps, rivers, permanent streams, natural ponds, commercial fish ponds,
marshes or
estuaries), except when necessary to target areas where adult mosquitoes
are present,
and weather conditions will facilitate movement of applied material away
from the water
in order to minimize incidental deposition into the water body. Do not
contaminate bodies
of water when disposing of equipment washwaters or rinsate.

This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment on
blooming crops or
weeds. To minimize hazard to bees, it is recommended that the product is
not applied
more than two hours after sunrise or two hours before sunset, limiting
application to times
when bees are least active. Do not apply this product or allow it to
drift to blooming crops
or weeds while bees are visiting the treatment area, except when
applications are made
to prevent or control a threat to public and/or animal health determined
by a state, tribal
or local health or vector control agency on the basis of documented
evidence of disease
causing agents in vector mosquitoes or the occurrence of mosquito-borne
disease in
animal or human populations, or if specifically approved by the state or
the tribe during
a natural disaster recovery effort.

Oh, sure!  Spraying at (Let's see, stall
speed for a C-130 is 100 knots or so,
and that's 115 MPH, so lets call the speed
they'd pick for a "treetop" terrain-hugging
mission at least 10% above stall speed...)
126 MPH and at 200 feet above the terrain,
the crew will be able to see all the
blooming weeds, water, crops, and comply
with each and every one of the label
restrictions listed above.

Face it - beekeepers must pack up their
hives and flee the listed counties, or