From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 13:18:16 -0500
Mario Pittori wrote:
> African bees have never been domesticated, so yes, if you put them in a
> hive, they are still every bit as wild as African bees. As I have said
> before, there is a difference between the European and the African races
> - the Europeans have been domesticated.

Actually, if you look in Africa, Brazil and even Mexico and Texas, AHB
are being managed just like EHB. AHB are not uniform in their
aggressively habits any more than EHB. You get the good and the bad.

And if you really think EHB are all sweet and loving, you never met the
colony of Italians sold to me by a local bee supplier. Some of Brother
Adams nice bees lost their pleasant disposition within a few
generations. There are and always will be hot bees no matter the race.

Nice program on the Discovery Channel on AHB about "Killer Bees" that
was actually on target. Mark Winston was an adviser. Showed AHB colonies
in Arizona and Mexico being tended by beekeepers with little problem.
Aggressive colonies were selected out. Also showed a nice lady beekeeper
in South Africa tending her AHB colonies and the monkeys nearby being
stung when they ventured too close. So AHB are not of a uniform
disposition any more than posters on the BeeL. Much more temperate than
that.

Again, we are confusing domestication with the kind of bees we are
keeping. Just because they are less aggressive does not mean they are
domesticated. Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy would not call the tiger
that mauled him domesticated, even though it was less aggressive than
one found in the wild.

Bees started in the wild. Men figured out how to keep them in containers
so they could get to their product, honey. Bees in the wild (except in
the Americas) were there before man. Bees that escape from man's
containers are the same as those in the wild as long as there are bees
locally. The only reason we call bees feral in the Americas is because
they were never here in the first place.

I do agree that my bees are domesticated only to the extent that they
like their plasma TVs and lazy boys I provide them during football season.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine

* BEE-L is hosted at the State University of New York at Albany.                    *
* Help with data collection regarding Colony Collapse Disorder at www.beesurvey.com *