From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:40:52 -0400
“Huh?  Is it too much to ask that our "nature" not be
polluted with invasive, exotic pests, diseases, and
pathogens from other ecosystems on the other side of
the planet?”  James Fischer

   Huh? I wouldn’t think so.  But who would you ask?  And by the way, how
long have you been asking?  How much control do you really think you are
going to get?
   Maybe we should ask nature.  Try it, Jim.  Go out and hug a tree and ask
nature what too much is.  It could produce an epiphany or a catharsis.
   Maybe moving bees around the world or from state to state IS bucking
nature too much.  I don’t know.  I never said what bucking nature too much
was.  Too much is too much.  I certainly wouldn’t think trying to
minimize “invasive, exotic pests, diseases, and
pathogens from other ecosystems on the other side of the planet” would
necessarily be bucking nature too much.  But at some point it might be
asking too much in this day and age when “nature just ain’t nature
anymore.”
   Maybe we could figure out a way to inspect for every possible bee
disease and then only let the absolutely pure ones in or out of arbitrarily
designated geographical subdivisions.  Then moving bees around might not be
bucking nature too much.  Then once all the diseases in a given area had
run their course, that area would be free of diseases. Of course you might
have to import some bees into an area at first until you got a stable,
clean population going in that area.  Then as all the areas got sanitized,
you could combine areas and feel safe from diseases within larger and
larger areas until the whole world became safe and there could be as many
bees in the world as anybody wants, and you would just have to make sure
there were enough almond trees for all those bees.  Am I missing anything?
Oh, AHB.  Oops!     Jeez it gets complicated.
    It is with great hesitation that I submit this post.  I know I’m going
to get fried.  It’s so easy for Jim to come up with really great acerbic
remarks, but I have to work really hard it.  It’s probably not worth it.

Steve Noble