From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2016 06:28:26 -0400
a randy oliver snip..
'I've corresponded with the beleaguered president of the local bee club, of
which the responsible beekeeper was not a member.  As best I can tell, this
may have simply been a case of moving a hive of bees during the day,
leaving an irritated field force, which was then sprayed with Raid, which
may have then increased its irritability.  To date, there is no indication
of Africanization.  Samples have been taken, so I hope to learn more.

But the media damage has already been done...'

my comments..
thanks for keeping us posted on this Randy.  I have seen something of the same thing here in smallish yards of bees after I cleared away tall grass (and typically in the late spring).  my yards are pretty isolated so beyond running off the horses and cows there was no real damage done in the event.  given these hives were very robust in population the defensive behavior continued for days and at the time I could and did have the offending hives tested for africanization.  at that point in time I did some investigation into 'robber guards' and these are now a part of my tool kit in handling such problems.  I still have a hard time understanding why folks who keep bees even in small numbers in urban areas don't look into robber guards as a means of insuring themselves against highly defensive honey bees.

perhaps some folks teaching beekeeping to this large group of new comers should spend a bit more time drilling in the idea that yes even european bees can hurt you badly and every report of bad ass bees does not necessarily imply africanization???

for business folks like myself 'media damage' is really damage to 'the brand' and this marketing concept seems to fly right over the heads of a lot of folks.  I do wonder how many negative dings to honeybee and honey can be endured before the shine is off this brand we call 'beekeeping'?