Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:17:52 -0500
Dan Brown writes:
"better to give the hive a comb of eggs and hope they'll superscede the
drone-layer, or should I buy a queen and try to introduce her after
dispatching the drone-layer"?

From my personal experience, I had a drone layer but thought my hive was
queenless so I added a frame of brood with eggs.  They did not produce a new
queen to supercede her.  They just raised them out into workers.  I then
introduced a new queen in a cage and when she finally got out, they balled and
killed her.  That was when I finally searched relentlessly until I found the
drone-laying queen and removed her when I had another mated queen in the mail.
My introduction after removing the drone layer was successful, but I lost about
a month during that time.  That hive didn't become productive until the
following year.

Layne Westover
College Station, Texas