From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:32:34 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<"The conjunction of science and speculation is  always  best avoided, don't
you think?"

The starting point of science is  speculation.  After all what is a
hypotheses if not purposeful  speculation?

Steve Noble   >>

Of course, but the scientist doesn't go public  until he or she has
sufficient evidence to give them a chance of convincing a  sceptical audience. Without
scepticism, and careful evidence gathering, we'd  still be stuck with king
bees and all sorts of nonsense. A vague 'it is  possible' won't get anything past
peer review. I seem to remember a good few  appeals for peer-reviewed
evidence on this list in connection with small cell.  Why should the bar come falling
down here?

Regards,

Robert Brenchley,
Birmingham  UK