From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 07:29:15 -0600
> At least if we do something it is better than nothing, having in mind
> OH&S requirements.

In Alberta, the method used before mites arrived was Apistan(tm) and
sticky boards applied by a govenment inspector.  That's the method that
turned up varroa here in NZ package bees a year or more before NZ first
discovered varroa in NZ.  The Alberta government employee who found the
first NZ mites doubted his find, and a second examination showed
nothing.  (I guess the Apistan got them all).

As reported previously, we found varroa in Australian packages, here in
one of our yards, several years back.  Although the find was in an
isolated apiary a month after installation; there had been no rigorous
attempt to ensure or verify that isolation; there have been no repeat
incidents; and no one else has reported varroa in Australian bees, so
the assumption has been that it is probable that the mites were somehow
introduced locally here in Canada.

As previously observed here, there is no possible method to prove --
practically or theoretically -- total absence of varroa witrh absolute
certainty.  Detection of the early stages of an infestation is very
difficult.   The more sensitive, frequent and widespread the testing,
the greater the likelihood of early identification.  Because eradication
of varroa after a find is not probable or usually possible -- varroa is
quite elusive, beekeepers are beekeepers, and containment has seldom
worked for long -- the main value of early discovery is that the owners
of the hives can get onto a detection and treatment programme before
damage occurs.

It seems to me that, in a situation such as the one Australia faces,
there is little benefit for Australians to a highly sensitive test, any
more than such a test is useful to me.  Very sensitive and widespread
tests in Aus would be of benefit to Australia's bee export customers,
but actually costly to some Australians: early detection of very low
levels might lead to an earlier reduction or cessation of bee exports
and prohibitions on migration than would be the case if detection
occured later.

Even a quick and dirty test like the sugar shake is good enough to
protect the Australian beekeepers before the mites reach economic
levels, but won't give their package and queen customers much assurance.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com