From:
Richard E Leber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 18:14:06 -0500
Hi Emily &  All Ya'll,

>I find it awfully difficult to lift/tilt a deep super full of honey
stores
>just by the indents provided on the sides of the boxes. If any of you
>do install handles of some sort...what kind?

Remember why you started beekeeping?.... keep that perspective.  If yours
is a hobby to be enjoyed, don't reach for that record honey crop
(measured in POUNDS) or be too concerned about the 'bottom line' costs of
operations.

Honey supers weigh in at about 10 pounds/inch (height) and even without
this rough conversion it is obvious that the shallow supers are the
easiest to handle.  For the same crop you will need additional woodenware
but, on the small scale the increase in initial cost is not significant
especially if compared to the labor savings.  Keep those deep hive bodies
for next year's apiary expansion.

Nancy and I wouldn't move another full honey super without our added
"lifting cleats" installed.  These handles made from 3/4 inch lumber are
just over 16 inches long with the width equal to the distance from the
top edge of the super to the top lip of the factory cut handle.
Effectively this increased the depth of the cut hand hold.  Attached with
exterior wood glue and inch and a half dry wall screws (3 or 4 are
plenty), one on each end provides plenty of room for two hands on the
front and two more on the back.

   NOTE: One problem with this location is that it requires 'custom' made
tops (3 inches longer than standard) not a big concern because the garage
manufacture provides scraps for handle production.  An indirect benefit
is the extra strength given to the rabbit cut which forms the frame
rests.  If you don't want the special tops, just move the handle low
enough for clearance.

If you have a partner spend the 60 bucks and get a hive carrier.  One of
those items I always planned to build at home to trim that 'bottom line'
(lost my perspective).  Nancy ordered one when I wasn't around and now we
don't leave the honey house with it.

Rick & Nancy Leber
Beekeeping & Honey Production Since 1987
Mobile, 'Sweet Home Alabama'

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]