From:
Carol Malcolm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 01:29:12 +0000
>I collected a large swarm from high up in a tree yesterday. It had been
there some months and had built a very impressive number of combs. I sawed
off the branch and trimmed off all the twigs then put the whole thing in an
empty hive. It just fits in a brood body with one super. I suspended the
branch inside to minimise the collapse although I don't know how effective
it is since the whole thing is breaking away from the branch.

>Does anyone have any ideas how I can deal with it?

Here in Austin, I have spent 6 evening a week responding to swarm calls
and collecting swarms.  Some are actually established hives, and if I
find comb with brood, this is what I do.  I collect the brood comb in
a box and handle in carefully.  When I get back home, I pull out the
rubberbands and empty frames.  I cut and past the salvaged brood comb
and rubberband it into empty frames  --sometimes mediums and then hang
the frames in the hive where I dump the salvaged bees.  Their comb seems
to be an incentive to "stay"...I have had swarms leave!  I watch for
burr comb, and pull those transfer frames when the brood has hatched.
Yes, it's lotsa work.  But, in my mind the "wild swarms" hold the key
to mite resistance!  I want all the swarms I can get since I have some
assurance that they've lived in the wild and not been medicated!
Would appreciate any imput on my tactics.  I'd like to think that I
haven't spent all those hours up ladders and under sheds for just
a small handfull of bees.

Carol

Carol K. Malcolm