Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:14:11 -0700
I posted this in another forum and it occurred to me that it should be
posted here as well.
---

Some subs contain potassium sorbate and also sodium propionate, which are
fungus and bacterial growth inhibitors respectively. These are very
inexpensive (human) food preservatives available from Univar in bulk, and
elsewhere in smaller amounts.

Since nosema is fungal, could the sorbate be a factor? I know Gilles Fert
mentioned using sorbate in his thin syrup in his book about queen rearing to
prevent fermentation, so the use of sorbate for bees has a history.

Nonetheless, I have asked many researchers if they have any knowledge about
this and received blank stares.  Mike Randall mentioned to me at the IPM
Workshop in Edmonton that nosema has been reclassified -- as a fungus, if I
got it right.  This got me thinking again and I decided this is worth
chasing.  Being lazy, I am calling out the hounds (you folks) to join in the
chase.

Of course, there are those who will find this revelation a further reason to
condemn all subs, citing the tremendous importance of each and every
microorganism in each and every hive on God's Green Earth, even though only
some subs use these inhibitors. Those battling nosema, though, might want to
consider making an exception.

Food for thought?
---

The current levels of potassium sorbate and also sodium propionate in one
well-known proprietary diet is listed as 0.1% (1 part per 1,000)

There is a lot of good info in Allen Carson Cohen's "Insect Diets" as well.

I've scanned just two pages and think I can share them here as "fair use",
since anyone who looks at them is going to want to rush out and get the rest
of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Insect-Diets-Science-Technology-ebook/dp/B000PWQMWS

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/2009/Cohen1.jpg
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/2009/Cohen2.jpg

Enjoy.

Just remember this stuff can be toxic to your bees if you miscalculate by a
factor of ten.