From:
peter kevan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <BEE-L@ALBNYVM1>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 90 11:03:19 EST
We ask your help!

Does anyone have any information on the minimum amount (concentration,
%, ....) of Carbon Dioxide required to knock out a bee? Any other
insect for that matter?

We know that above 60% CO2 anaesthetizes virgin queens (technique for
Instrumental insemination), and we know that in the hive the CO2 levels
may reach 2 or 5% and that initiates fanning. However, we can find nothing
about the minimum levels of CO2 that cause any insect to keel over.

Thanks for your help. Peter (U of Guelph, Ont N1G 2W1, Canada)