From:
Brian Tassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 16:56:05 -0500
Andy,

I enjoy your posts even though you're a devout curmudgeon :).  You age me by
far but I've always thought of myself as a junior curmudgeon so maybe some
day I can reach your level of competence.  I've used the spray bottle method
like you've said in the dry foothills and it works fine.  I prefer the smoker
by far and wildfires much less. There is something to be said for a heavy
whiff of acrid, gagging burlap that you missed that tag of wool which is now
burning.  It's brings tears to my eyes (in more ways than one) just to think
about it.  Another method I've heard of is burlap soaked in waste motor oil
and allowed to dry.  Lots of white smoke, kills both forms of mite, increases
honey production 30% and makes any hired help quit in a week.  I'm worried
about all the Cherrios you're consuming also, when I slow down some soon I'll
buy you breakfast in your neck of the woods, something with fat, cholesterol,
and sodium.  You bring a patch of that fishnet, we'll fire it up for dessert.
 What do you think colony numbers are going to look like for this spring?
 How about the honey prices for next year, they going to maintain for a
while?  Thanks for the humor you provide us with. Sometimes we're a little
grumpy and too serious.

Allen,

I wanted to thank you also for the posts you've made to the list also.  You
have a critical (meant as a "good" word) mind and I appreciate that.  Thanks
for the advice on shaking bees in Montana.  It turned out fine, I learned
alot, made some new friends, and found that my tolerance for bee stings is
much higher than I thought.  It's even okay that you're a little tough on us
"southerners" now and then and you quote Rodney :).  Keep up the good work
eh.  Hope your season wound up well.

Brian
Alta Apiaries
Atwater, CA