From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2014 14:31:03 -0500

Corn, corn, corn, corn...
[sung to the tune of Monty Python's "Spam" song]

> Nonsense.  Pure nonsense.  The number of acres
> in corn as changed VERY little in the last few years.

No, the "nonsense" statements are sensible and accurate:

http://www.nass.usda.gov/Charts_and_Maps/Field_Crops/cornac.asp
http://tinyurl.com/qe5men4

1993: 62 million acres harvested
2013: 87.7 million acres harvested
The difference, about 100,000 sq km, is roughly the same area as the entire
island of Cuba!

> Ethonol is now being looked at by other crops

"Looked at", but looked at wistfully, and from afar.  I recently mentioned
the technical issues that prevent these other crops from replacing corn, and
what a terrible waste the whole idea of "corn-based fuel" seems when one
looks at only part of the total costs:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A2=BEE-L;85722cc2.1
401
http://tinyurl.com/nqp6ooc

> Or buy 1000 acres of your own,  and
> pay those taxes.....trust me,  not enough
> honey to cover that expense.  I own
> quite a bit,  and its not a moneymaker.

Gosh, in years when I did not get rain on my windrows, I made more money
from horse hay than I made from the bees, and I had just under 500 acres.
Of course, it was el-primo stuff, and I was in the middle of dressage
country, where the horses are pampered.