Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:59:19 -0400
>Of course, everyone is concerned about the development of Apistan (R) tolerant
>varroa, but it is not the fault of one beekeeper if this happens, it is the
>fault of the manufacturers and regulators.  Development of tolerance, and the
>timeframe in which it will occur, is a predictable *certainty* for many
>reasons,
>however the main reason that we will lose this method of mite control in a
>short
>period, is simply that it is only one method, relies on a rather fragile
>mechanism, and a second or third methods are not rotated with it.  I submit
>that
>tolerance will arrive here *at the same time, regardless of whether David, and
>other Davids, leave their strips in over winter*.

I am going to have to respectfully disagree about the resistance, but first
in regards to the conversation I would like to insert some thoughts. While
I think we should all be very careful to avoid even the slightest hint of
attacking the person there are times their actions need to be rebuked.
Black and white issues are all over the place and we just love to dodge
them by claiming shades of grey. What David did was in error, he even comes
to that conclusion in the post that started all of this. David was "in the
dark" because he had been given bad information. I think he did his best to
act on the information given, but he was doomed from the start. That is why
this list is here, to bring about the sharing of information. Now that
David has the correct information, he would not repeat the actions. To put
it into another light, David has confessed (agreed) his error and has
repented (turned) from the error, it is now time to forget the transgression.

If anybody misuses any chemical they will speed the arrival of resistant
pests, this is a very well understood cause and effect. Low level exposure
will help select for resistance. Excessive exposure will pressure the
selection process as well. Proper exposure will allow generations that have
no pressure from the treatment to continue in the population. Yes, there is
every chance that resistance would arrive anyway, but if we can even delay
it by a few months we will have a much better chance of finding a way to
stop it without having to introduce a much more toxic (to humans as well as
other life) treatment.

Let us all remember what is at stake here. Not only are we talking about
how many on this list feed their family, we are talking about the little
insects that help feed our nations. We have a bit of a duty to deal with
our problems beyond our own feelings.  Like many other things in history a
small group is trying to solve a big problem that will impact many others
if it is not solved.

Thanks you all for the use of the pulpit.